Thursday, November 12, 2009

Mini Rant - sometimes it isn't just a shopping cart

Yesterday I read this blog post from the Church of the Customer blog about fees being penalties.  In this case they were relating a lack of baggage fees with increased business.   They make a good argument - one with which I very much agree. 

As I searched frantically in my wallet for my loonie to get myself a shopping cart (while restraining my rampant toddler who wanted to run amok through the store), I thought this might be similar.  Why am I paying a fee to get a shopping cart?  A basic necessity when shopping for more than 1 thing (leaving the other hand free for restraining said child).  I know the argument from stores is that it saves them money and in the end keeps their prices down.  Frankly it seems a cheap way to put the onus on the customer.  A penalty for being their customer.  And frankly a real pain in the butt for parents shopping with children (and who might not be so organized as to always have a loonie at the ready for the store). 

The assumption is that a loonie (or a quarter at some stores) is enough money to ensure I take my cart back  OR that I don't steal the cart.   This policy assumes I'm guilty before I even come into their store.   And if I really wanted to steal the cart would the loonie really stop me???? 

When I fly I need to take baggage, so I don't expect to have to pay for that 'extra'. When I shop I want to buy more than one thing.  And I don't want to have to pay a 'deposit'. 

Sure I get the money back for good behavior.  But that isn't the point.  

2 comments:

  1. Amen Sister!

    I just started buying basics at spud.ca and I don't need to fight to find a loonie for a shopping cart, although I do have to pay a deposit so that I don't steal one of their pretty blue delivery bins :-)

    To the companies that make it difficult to do business with, I say "see you later".

    At Raspberry Kids, we are bending over backwards to make it easy for customers to buy from us (@ least we hope so). There is so much competition, why make it hard for people to spend money in your store, for your service or online?

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just like a sister from another mother!

    Somehow I think of a deposit for something that comes into my home as different than having to pay a deposit to use it in their store. But hey everybody is doing it. It must work... right??!!!

    ReplyDelete